Soaringmeteo developersOctober 31, 2023
Today is the last day of October so it’s a good time to report on what I’ve been doing in the past month.
I am halfway to reaching my goal of displaying the detailed results of our high-resolution Alpine forecasts, and I would still appreciate your support!
In October, I made several experiments to find a technical solution that scales to our needs, I migrated soarV2 to the selected technology, and I partially implemented the rendering of our high-resolution forecasts.
You can see the result here: https://soarwrf1.soaringmeteo.org/v2-dev
In the “layers” menu, select the WRF model, and one of the covered zone. Then, play with the various overlays (e.g. thermal velocity, rain, wind at various altitudes, etc.). However, note that I did not yet implement the meteograms for the WRF model.
You can also watch a video that I just recorded where I look at the XC flying potential over the Europe, and I zoom into the South of France, and switch to the WRF model for more precision. It seems that around Col de Bleyne will be flyable tomorrow!
Last, note that I have also changed the way we render the GFS model. Instead of dealing with “points”, we now deal with “zones”. In the process, I have significantly expanded the coverage of the South Hemisphere, I hope this will be useful to the pilots there since the season just started!
I am super happy about what I’ve done, but as I said above, I didn’t reach my goal yet. My progress was slowed down by unanticipated challenges when I migrated soarV2 to the new engine. I still need to update the implementation of the meteograms and sounding diagrams to handle the WRF forecast data, and then I will improve the user interface to make it more intuitive and easy to use on small screens.
Now comes the part where I request again your support to fund my work. I received a lot of money already: 5,500 € in total (some donators preferred to give directly to me instead of going through Leetchi), and I am extremely grateful to you! I could spend almost all of my time on the project (17 days in total, to be precise). However, since I now estimate that I need more weeks to complete the project, I will keep the money pot open, and I would appreciate if you can still support me!